John Melugin

Click above for other pages

Revolutionary War Soldier

John Melugin is the only Melugin/Malugin mentioned in the National Archives and the North Carolina State Archives as having served in both the Revolutionary War and the Indian uprisings of that era.

Transcription of Revolutionary War
Pension Hearing
From records held in the National Archives Washington, D.C.

John Melugin's court appearance in regard to application for a pension for Revolutionary War Service.
(Edited and condensed due to length)

Court of Pleas and Quarter Session, January 1833.
State of Tennessee, Perry County

John Melugin entered the service as a volunteer on February 1st or 8th of 1777 at Guilford, N.C. He was not sure which day. He campaigned as follows:

Tour 1: They went to Wilmington, N.C. under Capt. Thos. Flack, Lieutenant John Duggel and Major John Pacely. The Regiment was commanded by Colonel Martin. When they arrived at Wilmington they discovered that the British troops had left and they returned home. Total time about three weeks.

Tour 2: They returned again sometime later to Wilmington with the same officers and engaged the Tories, who were said to be mostly Scotch, at Moore's Bridge and were then sent home again. Total time about three weeks.

Tour 3: He was also with Gen. Rutherford's troops at Cathy's Fort on the Catawaba River and marched to the Cherokee towns. They marched until they came to the pass that leads to the Cherokee Nation where they found fresh signs of Indians. He was sent after said Indians. They, an advanced force, were attacked by the indians and suffered some casualties. They then marched on to the Indian towns and waited for the main force to catch up to them. Although the group under a Col. Williamson was in an engagement with the Indians he was left behind due to being very sick. They then returned home. Total time three months and four days.

Tour 4: He went out again, this time with Robert Bell on the 1st day of January following. Lt. Cambell and the same Major were his officers. He marched to the high hills of the Santee in South Carolina and then to Camden and stayed there until the end of the tour. Total time about three months and then went home.

Tour 5 (actually several missions): He then went out several times for a week or two at a time but could not remember the specifics.

He then moved to Surrey in N.C. about 1778 or 9.

Tour 6: He again volunteered and went out under Capt. Jacob Camplin and Lt. Cook. They were needed in Charleston, S.C. They marched to Salisbury in March and then to Charlotte and then into S.C. and served in that state about three months. They then marched to Savannah River opposite Augusta and with about 1500 men crossed the River. He was left behind as part of the rear guard. Then they that were in the rear were sent to the two Lister Ferries where they were met by the rest of the troops and marched to Bacon's Bridge on the Ashley River. There he was assigned to drive a wagon until his term of service ended. The troops were in a battle at Stono Ferry where his Captain and his Captain's brother were wounded, but he was not in the engagement due to driving a wagon. He then returned home. Total time four months. Gen. in command was Gen Butler.

Tour 7: He was next enlisted under Maj. John Armstrong of the Regulars. He did not remember having a regular Capt. over him as he was not attached to any company. He marched to Hillsborough. After about two months he hired a man to serve in his place by consent of Maj. Armstrong and was given a furlough to go home. While at home he move from Surry County to the Watauga River in what he remembered as Washington County of what is now Tennessee. He then returned to service as a volunteer under Capt. Isaac Thorn.

Tour 8: He then marched again to the Cherokee Nation this time under command of Col. John Sevier. They had some skirmishes with the Indians. Time of tour, two months.

Tour 9: After a shorter than normal stay at home he went out again into the Indian Nation led by Col. Sevier but had only skirmishes. They took some nine Indian prisoners all women. Total time remembered about two months.

Tour 10: In his next tour of duty he again volunteered under Col. Sevier and marched again to S.C. to the Santee Swamp and joined with Gen. Marion. They marched, scouting, through the country and swamp until their time expired and then returned home. He remained home about three or four months time. Total time of service this tour, three months.

Tour 11: In his last tour, John Melugin volunteered himself again under Col. Sevier and marched back to S.C. to the same swamp and joined with Gen Marion again. Col. Wm. Washington was with them this time. They went down the Santee and crossed near Monks Corner. There was a British hospital nearby and they took one prisoner. The British then followed them to the Swamp but would not follow them into the swamp. (compiler's note: possible failed ambush attempt) They served about three months this time.

(Signed with John Mallugan's (Melugin)
mark which looked like an upper case "I")

witnesses: Wm. F. Doherty, Atty.
Alex Farluneson

Signed by the court: J. L. Houston (seal)
Wm. Ward (seal)
John Sheppard (seal)

Registered by the clerk: Jesse Lewellen Clerk
J.N. Caldwell Deputy Clerk

Source: Pension records of the National Archives, Washington, D.C.

Source: A Memorial To The Melugin Family of America, by Douthitt Melugin McKay; Eakin Press, P.O. Box 23066, Austin, Texas. 1981